Dr. Jennifer Rogers
Email Address: email@example.com
Mailing Address: Department of Counseling, Box 7406, WFU, Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Faculty member at Wake Forest University since July 2012
- PhD in Counseling and Counselor Education, Syracuse University, 2013
- Certificate of Advanced Study in Conflict Resolution, Maxwell School of Syracuse University, 2011
- MA in Counseling, Wake Forest University, 2008
- BFA in Acting and BA in English, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 2001
Research and Special Interests
Substance abuse assessment and brief counseling interventions, clinical supervision, and relational approaches to counseling and counselor preparation across ecologically diverse practice contexts. Dr. Rogers’ current primary research project examines how attachment and cognitive patterns among beginning counselors influence their experiences related to receiving corrective feedback during clinical supervision. She also writes about systemically-informed case conceptualization and facilitates a women’s counseling group at a local nonprofit inpatient substance abuse treatment center.
Refereed Journal Articles (recent)
- Rogers, J.L., Crockett, J.E., & Suess, E. (2019). Miscarriage: An ecological examination. The Professional Counselor, 9(1), 51-66. doi:10.15241/jlr.9.1.51
- Rogers, J.L., Luke, M., Gilbride, D.D., & Goodrich, K.M. (2019). Supervisee attachment, cognitive distortions, and difficulty with corrective feedback. Counselor Education and Supervision, 58(1), 18-32.
- Rogers, J.L., Bernard, J.M., Veach, L.J., Moro, R.R., Ivers, N.N., Reboussin, B., Miller, P.M., & O’Brien, M.C. (2018). Brief counseling for alcohol misuse among trauma patients: Two interventions and influence of baseline use. Journal of Addictions and Offender Counseling, 39(2), 89-105.
- Rogers, J.L., Gilbride, D.D., & Dew, B.J. (2018). Utilizing an ecological framework to enhance counselors’ understanding of the U.S. opioid epidemic. The Professional Counselor, 8(3), 226-239.
- **2018 Outstanding Scholar Award, Concept/Theory
- Veach, L.J., Moro, R.R., Miller, P.M., Reboussin, B., Ivers, N.N., Rogers, J.L., & O’Brien, M.C. (2018). Alcohol counseling in hospital trauma: Examining two brief interventions. Journal of Counseling & Development, 96(3), 243-253.
- Binkley, E.E., Rogers, J.L., & Wilde, B.J. (2018). Advocacy for the counseling profession: Interviews with leader-advocates. Romanian Journal of Counseling, 4(1), 3-17.
- Rogers, J.L. & Gilbride, D.D. Experiences in Supervision: Affective Responses to Corrective Supervisory Feedback. ACES Research Grant Program, 2018-2019.
- Rogers, J.L., Gilbride, D.G., Luke, M.M., & Goodrich, K.M. Attachment Style, Cognitive Distortions, and Supervision of Counseling Students. Wake Forest University Pilot Research Grant Program, Spring 2017.
- Luke, M.M., Rogers, J.L., Goodrich, K.M., & Gilbride, D.G. Cognitive Distortions, Attachment Style, & Supervision of Counseling Students. Syracuse University School of Education, 2016-2017.
Book Chapters (recent)
- Shilling, E.H., Veach, L. J., Rogers, J.L., & Moro, R.R. (2019). Substance addictions. In D. Capuzzi & M.D. Stauffer (Eds.) Foundations of Addictions Counseling, 4th ed. Boston: Allyn and Baon/Pearson.
- Moro, R.R., Veach, L. J., Rogers, J.L., & Shilling, E.H. (2019). Process addictions. In D. Capuzzi & M.D. Stauffer (Eds.) Foundations of Addictions Counseling, 4th ed. Boston: Allyn and Bacon/Pearson.
Professional Presentations (recent)
- Rogers, J.L., Gilbride, D.G., Dew, B.J. (October 11-13, 2018). Thinking Ecologically: Teaching Students Ecological Case Conceptualization and Treatment Planning. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Biannual Conference. Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Rogers, J.L. & Crockett, J.E. (October 11-13, 2018). Ecological, Relational, and Cultural Perspectives on Miscarriage. Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Biannual Conference. Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Rogers, J.L., Gilbride, D.D., & Dew, B.J. (April 26-29, 2018). An Ecological Approach to Understanding Opioid Abuse in Rural America. American Counseling Association Annual Conference. Atlanta, GA. (**IAAOC featured presentation; presentation selected for video recording and continuing education module by ACA.)
- Rogers, J.L., Luke, M.M., Gilbride, D.G., & Goodrich, K.M (October 5-8, 2017). Attachment, Use of Cognitive Distortions, and Experiences in Supervision Among Counseling Students. Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Biennial Conference. Chicago, IL.
- Crockett, J.E. & Rogers, J.L. (October 5-8, 2017). Grief, fear, hope: Addressing pregnancy loss in counselor education. Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Biennial Conference. Chicago, IL.
- 2018 Outstanding Scholar Award, Concept/Theory Article, The Professional Counselor
- University Fellow, Syracuse University, 2008-2012
- Harriet Cook Ellis Dedication to the Field of Counseling Award, Wake Forest University Department of Counseling, 2008
- Short- and long-term clinical mental health counseling with clients in primary care, university counseling center, and outpatient settings; brief screening and alcohol interventions with trauma patients in a hospital setting; individual and group counseling in inpatient and outpatient substance abuse treatment centers.
Professional Service (recent)
- Secretary, International Association of Addictions and Offender Counselors (7/1/2018-6/30/2019).
- Editorial Board Member, Journal for Specialists in Group Work (2018-present).
- Editorial Board Member, Romanian Journal of Counseling (Jurnalul Român de Consiliere) (2018-present).
- Women’s Interest Network Co-Chair, Association of Counselor Education and Supervision (7/1/2018-present).
- Member, American Counseling Association Awards Committee, appointed by President-Elect Simone Lambert, (7/1/2018-6/30/21).
- SACES representative, Association of Counselor Education and Supervision Awards Committee, appointed by President Melissa Luke, (1/30/19-12/31/20).
- Scientific Committee for the International Education and Psychology Challenges Conference, organized by the Educational Sciences Department of Petroleum Gas University of Ploiesti (Romania), the International Society for Applied Psychology, and the Institute for the Development of Educational Assessment (2017).
Professional Licensure and Memberships
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- International Association of Addictions and Offender Counselors
- Association for Specialists in Group Work
- North Carolina Board of Licensed Professional Counselors
- National Certified Counselor