Dr. Erin Binkley
Assistant Professor/School Counseling Program Coordinator
Mailing Address: c/o Wake Forest University, PO Box 7406, Winston Salem, NC 27109
Office Phone: 336-758-8623
Faculty Member at Wake Forest University since 2014
- PhD, Counselor Education and Counseling, Idaho State University
- MA, Counseling, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC
- BA, Communications Studies, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
- Advocacy and social justice issues in counseling and counselor education, crisis counseling, creativity in counseling, and counselor preparation.
- Wake Forest University Provost’s Pilot Mentorship Program, 2019-2020
- Chi Sigma Iota Theta Chapter Outstanding Research Award–2014
- Oakland University Teaching and Learning Committee Teaching Excellence Award Nominee–2012
- Dean’s Travel Grant–2011
- Interview in “Counseling Today” magazine–2011
- Idaho State University Office of Research Travel Grant Recipient–2008 and 2009
Professional Service (selected):
- Wake Forest University School Counseling Program Coordinator, 2017-present
- Chair, Wake Forest University’s Committee on Orientation and Lower-Division Advising, 2018-2019
- Wake Forest University Lower-Division Adviser, 2015-present
- Focus Group Coordinator, American Counseling Association’s Crisis Preparedness and Trauma Counseling Task Force, 2017-2019
- Association for Humanistic Counseling, Awards Co-Chair, 2017-2019
- Reviewer, Journal of Humanistic Counseling, 2018-present
- Reviewer, Journal of School Counseling, 2013-2017
- Oakland University, University Senate, School of Education and Human Services representative, 2013-2014
- Oakland University School Counseling Specialization Coordinator–2011-2014
- Chi Sigma Iota International Counseling Honor Society–Theta Chapter Advisor, 2010-2013
- I have spent time working both in schools and agency settings. In the past, I worked mainly with at-risk adolescents and survivors of domestic abuse. My current work with clients focuses on interpersonal relationships, identity development, life transitions, the healing of trauma, and support of clients experiencing physical, sexual, an/or emotional abuse.
Professional Licensure and Memberships:
- Licensed Professional Counselor in North Carolina
- Licensed Professional Counselor in Michigan
- National Certified Counselor
- American Counseling Association
- American School Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Chi Sigma Iota International Counseling Honor Society
- Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- North Carolina Counseling Association
Recent Publications (Selected):
- Crockett, J., Rogers, J. L. & Binkley, E. E. (2019). Cultural dimensions of early pregnancy loss: Spiritual and religious issues. Manuscript accepted for publication, Journal of Counseling and Values.
- Gladding, S. T. & Binkley, E. E. (2019). Writing across the lifespan. Journal of Poetry Therapy, 32(2).
- Binkley, E. E. (2018). Crisis in the classroom: Case-based activities for teaching psychological first aid. The Practitioner Scholar: Journal of Counseling and Professional Psychology, 7, 71-79.
- Binkley, E. E., Rogers, J. L., & Wilde, B. J. (2018). Advocacy for the counseling profession: Interviews with leader-advocates. Romanian Journal of Counseling, 4, 3-17.
- Binkley, E. E. & Hayden, S. (2017). Enhancing scholarship through engagement: A model for interpersonal scholarly productivity within counselor education. The Practitioner Scholar: Journal of Counseling and Professional Psychology, 6, 119-134.
- Clarke, P. B., Binkley, E. E., & Andrews, S. M. (2017). Actors in the Classroom: The Dramatic Pedagogy Model of Counselor Education. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 12, 129-145, doi: 10.1080/15401383.2016.1196156
- Binkley, E. E. and Leibert, T. W. (2015). Prepracticum Counseling Students’ Perceived Preparedness for Suicide Response. Counselor Education and Supervision, 54, 98-108.
- Binkley, E. E. (2013). Creative strategies for treating victims of domestic violence. Journal of Creativity in Mental Health, 8, 305-313. doi: 10.1080/15401383.2013.821932
Recent Presentations (Selected):
- Binkley, E. E. & Calhoun, B. (2019, March). Using Popular Music to Promote Healthy Relationships in Adolescents. American Counseling Association Annual Conference. New Orleans, LA.
- Binkley, E. E. & Mitchell, M. (2019, February). More than a Hashtag: Self-Care as an Ethical Responsibility. North Carolina Counseling Association Annual Conference. Durham, NC.
- Crockett, J., Rogers, J. L. & Binkley, E. E. (2019, February). Coping with Early Pregnancy Loss: Spiritual and Religious Issues. North Carolina Counseling Association Annual Conference. Durham, NC.
- Ivers, N.N. & Binkley, E. E. (2018, March). Using Case Conceptualization to Navigate the Turbulent Waters of the Human Condition. American Counseling Association. Atlanta, GA.
- Binkley, E. E. & Ivers, N. N. (2018). Creative methods of supervision. Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference. Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Binkley, E. E. & Rogers, J. L. (2017). Advocacy for the counseling profession: A qualitative inquiry. North Carolina Counseling Association Annual Conference. Durham, NC.
- Binkley, E. E. & Wilde, B. (2017, October). Creative Strategies for Teaching Crisis Response. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Chicago, IL.
- Minor, A., Binkley, E., Ferrol, J., & Nelson, A. (2017, October). Building Cultural Competence in an Ethnocentric Era. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Chicago, IL.
- Binkley, E., Hayden, S., & Clarke, P. (2016). Working with Individuals in Crisis: Recent Innovations in Research and Practice. All day workshop, Wake Forest University Department of Counseling Spring Workshop (invited). Winston-Salem, NC.
- Wilde, B., Elliot, G., & Binkley, E. (2016, April). “Do I Really Have To Ask That?” Suicide Risk Assessment Competency in Counselor Training. American Counseling Association. Montreal, QC, Canada.
- Minor, A. and Binkley, E. E. (2016). Constructivist Pedagogy to Promote Cultural Learning in Counselor Education. European Branch American Counseling Association. Geneva, Switzerland.
- Binkley, E. E. and Clarke, P. B. (2015, October). Dramatic Pedagogy: Incorporating Actors into Counselor Training. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Philadelphia, PA.
- Rogers, J.L., Binkley, E.E., Warden, S. P., Cashwell, T. H., Emerson, C. H., & Forti, A. (2016, February). Rethinking clinical supervision: A fresh look at common challenges. All-day pre-conference training at the North Carolina Counseling Association’s annual conference. Greensboro, NC.
- Binkley E. E. & Leibert, T. W. (2013, October). Suicide Response Preparation and Anxiety in Beginning Master’s Level Counseling Practicum Students. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Denver, CO.
I enjoy music, cooking, traveling, gardening, biking, volunteering, and spending time with friends and family. Most weekends, I can be found hiking or camping with my sweet pup, Roscoe.